On BBC Arabic TV: Facebook decision “meaningless”
BBC Arabic TV called me this evening to comment on Bashar’s magnanimous decision to unblock social networking sites in Syria.
I couldn’t say no, especially knowing that regime sympathizers in Europe and the US will jump at this opportunity to market this headline-grabbing decision as “reform”.
It was actually my first time in front of live television and I was slightly nervous. Ironic given that I work in a TV channel.
For those whose Arabic is still developing, what I said was that the move to lift restrictions on Facebook, YouTube, et al was long overdue. It was, if anything, a white flag by the regime which has palpably failed in its battle against young Syrians to censor and control the Internet.
Asked by the presenter why Syrians had not responded to the 5th Feb “day of rage”, I said that it was a matter of fear, plain and simple. Repression is very harsh in Syria and the memory of the horrific Hama massacre (29th anniversary this month) is proof that the regime is prepared to kill thousands of its own citizens to remain in power.
I then made the point (the same point I made to the Guardian’s Ian Black who quoted me on it) that allowing people to access social networking sites without the use of proxy servers will only make it easier for the censors to know who is doing what. I therefore urged users of the Internet in Syria to continue using proxy servers in order to surf the net safely.
Finally, I stressed that unblocking a few websites while maintaining the apparatus of internet censorship, is totally meaningless.
- Latest for the Majalla: Dreaming of Sweden February 13, 2014
- Syria’s Brotherhood: Doomed to Repeat the Past December 14, 2013
- Latest on Syria For Foreign Policy: Rebels, Inc. November 23, 2013
- For the Majalla blogs: on why politics is corrupting Arabic November 6, 2013
- Latest for the Majalla blogs: Only God and America September 27, 2013
- RT @NoahBonsey: Our new @CrisisGroup memo on US policy challenges in Raqqa & beyond, includng Turkey strikes & PYD governance issues https:… 19 hours ago
- RT @ejbeals: A must-read deep-dive from @ajaltamimi on a single reconciliation, hits on several themes occurring elsewhere: https://t.co/OZ… 1 day ago
- RT @tobiaschneider: Designed to minimize new Mideast entanglements, the United States' anti-ISIS strategy is now a hostage in the PKK's str… 2 days ago
- RT @tobiaschneider: French gov releases offical assessment on the use of Sarin by the Assad regime at Khan Sheikhoun earlier this month: ht… 3 days ago
- RT @FranTownsend: Why does #Iran ban its Sunni citizens from running for President? english.alarabiya.net/en/features/20… 4 days ago